The way society as a whole will respond to environmental challenges in the next decade will be decisive, and making today the most wise and sustainable decisions will ensure a stable climate in the near future. Companies posses the crucial factor to attain that idyllic future, using their position in the world market to boost sustainable initiatives and requesting the collaboration of their stakeholders.
Lluch Essence’s sustainability strategy is built with those values as a basis, working on those and continuously integrating them in all our procedures. We thereupon present our implemented actions on 2020:
· Establishing economically, socially and environmentally sustainable purchases: promoting rural communities’ economy, purchasing directly from the origin, placing HUBS in Shanghai and Mumbai and warehouses in Colimbia and Malaysia.
· Compensating footprint: Lluch Essence’s footprint is compensated through reforestation projects in the Peruvian Amazon and in hydroelectric power plants.
· Calculating parameters: such as carbon and water footprint, emission inventory, electrical power consumption and environmental indicators.
· Controlling our environmental impact: starting a partnership with ClimateTrade, in order to minimizing our environmental impact by offsetting emissions generated, expanding our Organic Portfolio with 16 new products and starting a profit study for employing reusable packaging for the sample.
· Participating in sustainable initiatives such as workshops and webinars.
· Training the staff on minimization of the environmental impact.
Detecting and preventing environmental risks: Sustainability Indexes such as Ecovadis, RightSupply or Sedex are used to detect and prevent environmental risks.
Lluch Essence considers the environmental management as a fundamental value of our business culture. For this reason we carry out our activities in an environmentally friendly manner and in accordance with the principles of sustainable development, and we are firmly committed with the conservation and balanced use of the resources we employ.
To achieve this purpose Lluch Essence establishes the following commitments:
- Adopting the necessary measures to guarantee the fulfillment of all the applicable environmental regulations and other commitments of voluntary adhesion.
- Preventing, control and minimize the environmental impact of the activity in the surroundings. Opting for those investments or optimization of resources that allow for a sustainable growth.
- Committing with the reduction of energy consumption, waste, discharges and emissions in its activity, also forming part of the important global effort to create a more environmentally friendly society.
- Proactively participating in associations and other interest groups that promote initiatives that contribute to greater environmental awareness ant the improvement of production processes, based on the sustainable management of resources.
- Training, raising awareness and involving all its staff so that they develop and apply actions that minimize environmental impact in their daily activities, promoting the responsible use of natural resources.
- Adopting the necessary measures to prevent environmental risks, especially serious accidents, and to limit their consequences on the environment.
Lluch Essence assumes the responsibility for putting these principles into practice, promoting environmental improvement and allocating the necessary resources to ensure the successful implementation of this environmental policy and has developed several operations for the actions described above:
· Guaranteeing the fulfillment of the environmental regulations: Lluch has a consolidated Calculating Methodology of the following parameters:
- Carbon footprint with OECC (Oficina Española de Cambio Climático) Calculator
- Water footprint with Water Footprint Network Calculator
- Emissions inventory (biannual log)
- Electrical power consumption (monthly log)
- Environmental indicators such as polluting emissions, percent of waste sent to landfill, percent of renewable energy consumption, percent of renewable energy generated, percent of hazardous waste generated, etc. (yearly log)
· Controlling the environmental impact:
o In October 2019, Lluch Essence, started a partnership with ClimateTrade, to minimize our environmental impact by offsetting emissions generated (facilities, vehicles, business flights, and participation in exhibitions). Likewise, emissions of the second semester were compensated in March 2020, relying again on the collaboration with the digital platform ClimateTrade.
o The Organic Portfolio has been expanded with 16 new products (25 product in 20219 vs. 41 products in 2020), all certified by CCPAE and ECOCERT.
- A profit analysis of employing reusable packaging for the samples has been studied with the help of Cupons ACCIO, a tool offered by the regional government that give the companies economical benefits for Circular Economy projects.
· Reducing the energy consumption: The lockdown imposed by the government due to the COVID-19 pandemic and the subsequent mobility restrictions has resulted in a uncommon low energy consumption (0,0791MWh/u) and no measures were needed.
· Participating in sustainable initiatives: The pandemic, despite the uncertainty caused, gave Lluch the opportunity of participating in many online workshops and webinars and learning about fresh innovating ideas and solutions that are being studied.
· Training the staff on minimization of the environmental impact: Information boards and periodical reminders of good practices have been posted.
· Preventing environmental risks : The following Sustainability Indexes are used to detect and prevent environmental risks:
- Ecovadis: Lluch Essence reports annually to the EcoVadis CSR assessment questionnaire. The final score is calculated on the basis of 21 CSR criteria in the following areas: Environment, Social, Business ethics and Responsible purchasing. In 2019, Lluch Essence obtained a score of 46/100, 10 points more than our previous score, for the first time the company obtained the level of engagement "Bronce". This score places us above the medium punctuation of companies evaluated by EcoVadis in our sector. Our scorecard is currently shared with 34 of our customers.
- SEDEX: Is one of the world's leading ethical trade membership organisation, working with businesses to improve working conditions in global supply chains. They provide an online platform, tools and services to help businesses operate responsibly and sustainably, protect workers (health, safety and labor standards) and source ethically. as part of Lluch Essence's transparency policy we share with our customers our report through SEDEX platform: ZC131445924.